Sunday, July 6, 2014

The ravages (or, what it's really like)

The last few months our family has been almost completely consumed with trying to cope with the ramifications of my cancer treatment. This has meant a lot of different things for each of us, and I don't know that any of us were able to be fully prepared for what the journey would entail. This is partly because there is no way to know exactly how you're going to react to chemo - everyone, it would seem, has a slightly different experience. But it's also, I think, because even though there is a lot of information listing the specific side effects for each of the chemo drugs, nothing I found actually describes what it's like.
Showing off my no-boob scar whilst being treated for nutropenia after my first chemo dose. 
I've had a phobia of chemo for years. I always thought that if I got cancer, I'd forgo chemo. But, when faced with my diagnosis, and the statistics around my different treatment options, I made the decision, ultimately for my family, to go ahead and have it.

And it's been surprising. And because it's been surprising, and not really what any of the literature says it's going to be like, I wanted to write a blog post about my experience in the hope that it helps someone else go into the journey a little more prepared. For those of you who read this blog because you like good food and/or information about natural building and/or farming stuff and/or craft, this may or may not be interesting for you. I hope you all understand my reasons for wanting to share this aspect of my family's journey in this forum - this blog is about our life, and at the moment our life is a lot about chemo.

Because of my chemo-phobia, after I made the decision to go down this treatment road, I read pretty much anything I could in an effort to know what I was getting myself in for. What I've since learned is that a list of side effects doesn't really help you to understand that what it actually feels like. For example: "nausea and/or vomiting" should probably say something more like "the worst flu you've ever had combined with a really terrible hangover that lasts for a week or so". Similarly, "Gastrointestinal upset" actually means "someone has poured some full-strength Drano down your mouth-hole and it's shot straight through to the other end", and "diarrhea" means "get yourself some nappies - you're going to need them".

When the list says "tiredness and fatigue", what it really means is "complete exhaustion to the point where having a brief conversation with someone will make you feel like you've just run 10km (but don't expect to sleep properly because you're going to be totally pumped up on steroids)". When it says "metallic taste and/or taste changes" it means "everything in your mouth, including your taste-buds will shrivel up and die, so that everything you eat tastes like boiled choko". "Mouth ulcers" means "more Drano effect".

Then there are the 'minor' side-effects, listed as things like "brittle fingernails", "nosebleeds" and "hair loss", which actually manifest as "feels like every single fingernail has been hit very hard with a hammer", "torrential outpouring of blood requiring a towel to fully curb the flow (and rock-hard boogies when it's not bleeding)" and... well, hair loss. That's actually the only one that's been as I anticipated.

Similarly, when the side-effects list says "low white blood cells", and the chemo nurse tells you with no small degree of seriousness that any kind of fever means an immediate trip to hospital, no-one actually says that when you get to hospital at 2am you'll be admitted into an isolation room, bubble-boy style, and given intravenous antibiotics for 48 hours. People who come to visit you during this time have to wear gloves, masks and gowns because you're so immuno-compromised.
Kids visiting the isolation chamber

These attractive side effects last for about a week after each treatment, though the last dose hit me harder and lasted longer, and it's likely that my next dose will be even worse. I'm also currently processing a barrage of pre-medications that are being administered in conjunction with the chemo drugs  after I had a particularly nasty reaction to my second dose. The reaction, apparently, was my body's way of saying "Hell no!" to the chemo drugs, so now they drug me into submission. These submission drugs add a foggy, chemical-y hangover to the mix of chemo side-effects. Fun times.

But I think by far the most challenging thing for me has been psychological, and has resulted from my inability to come peacefully to terms with the fact that my body just isn't working properly right now. This has in turn made me realise how much I took my fitness and general good-health for granted. I rode my bike, I did farm stuff, I carried 20 litre water barrels and bags of chicken feed all over our land, I carried my kids around and I built stuff. Now I need a lie-down if I do so much as a load of washing up, and I go for days and days without even walking out to the paddock to look at our chickens, and sometimes it all just makes me cry because I miss being able to do all the stuff that makes me me
Less than 48 hours post-mastectomy, we were out in the paddock being photographed by our exceedingly talented friend, Eryca Green
The physical changes - the loss of my left breast and the loss of my hair - have been remarkably easy to come to terms with. I suppose it's been interesting in that the whole experience has definitely highlighted what's important for me, which is most certainly functionality over form: I've quite embraced being a bald, one-boobed lady, but I don't know that I'd ever fully embrace complete and utter fatigue.

Ultimately though, I believe that the whole experience will prove to be a positive one, above and beyond the mere practicalities of killing off errant cancer cells. It has been profoundly and deeply humbling for me to be so completely vulnerable - to see my beautiful Pearl working so hard to take care of us all, to see our amazing community, our friends and family helping us in so many and varied ways, to let go of my pride and just accept that people love me and are happy to take care of me, and that it's OK to not be super-strong all the time. And hey - I've developed some pretty sweet crochet skills and done a ton of reading, so it's not all bad.

23 comments:

  1. And you've also shared this crazy journey so that we can all learn and feel and try to understand what it all means. You (and your family) are just super amazing! Love love love. Vxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the journey would have been a heck of a lot harder without lovely helpers like you!!! xxx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your journey, Annie. You are amazeballs! {I stole that word from someone cool;)}! Was really lovely catching up yesterday. Last one to go and then you're back on track, matey:) xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is probably... no DEFINITELY the richest tale I've read about the big C --- thank you so much for sharing this story with the world --- and here are a few kick-arse, super strength, get well soon vibes for you ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, even in these hard times (and aren't they just) you're character of strength, honesty and perpetual observations keep beating through, shining brighter and brighter. Your honest account of what 'it's actually like' is unlike anything I've ever read before. Thanks goes to you and your literary disposition to tell us what those list of symptoms REALLY, REALLY mean and revealing to us what it is our loved ones who have had/are having chemo go through. It is a truly special person to endure this crap that you and your family are going through and still emerge with the precious jewel of humble realisations and the lightness of positive reflections. Thanks for giving, even at this crappy time. You're amazing..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for this, and for the reminder to take notice of and be joyful in our taken-for-granted strong bodies; hoping very hard that yours is strong again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thing that shines through this post loud and clear is that even though chemo is a Satan's roundabout of evil shit, the love of your family and community and your hopeful spirit is keeping the *real* you intact. Your body is being put through its hardest test yet, but it's great to see your "Annie-ness" beaming out from inside. Hope it gets easier soon - we're all thinking of you and sending lots of love xx Krusty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Annie, thank you so much for your story and your beautiful pictures. I am studying to be a student nurse and hope to work in the community, where I will no doubt meet other people going through a similar experience to you. It will help to give them a realistic idea of what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr Annie, thank you for sharing your words on everything that you are going through at the moment, as well as your amazing farm and the life you have created with your family. It is difficult to read about you experiencing all of this, but your humour and resilience shines through, as always. Love from Melbourne, where your blog brightens up my lunchtime in the office. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for being brave and strong enough to share so honestly. Sending lots of healthful recovery wishes from this strangers home.
    Tracey
    Ps. Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go Annie! We, from a distance, appreciate your frank and erudite story on your recovery from the big C. Your experience with chemo really comes across as a shitty ride. I hope you are up on your feet and back at full throttle asap. Give Pearl a huge hug for us. Undoubtedly, she has been your pillar of strength throughout all this and has kept a firm hand on the tiller juggling all her roles and yours as well. Sending oodles of love and best wishes to you, Pearl, Olive and Oscar. xxxx (your mate Matty)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pics. Inspiring ! Before I had my mastectomies, I searched for pics of cool, younger women to see what I would look like. I couldnt find much except older women in surgical gowns....I wish I could have seen these. For me though, the loss of my breasts hasn't been such a huge deal (surprising, right?) but oh, the chemo......devastating. The statistics for survival were completely convincing but the reality of the nausea and that horrible rusty nail taste, over and over again.....totally ravaging for me and those around me. My Scottish mother in law had a great saying- this too will pass- and you know what? She was right, and it did. Thanks for sharing your journey, and I hope you can soon put the final treatment firmly behind you. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you about the lack of positive representations of post-mastectomy bodies. That's why I'm really happy to have these photos of myself "out there". I'm actually really fine with my one boob - but yeah... the chemo... what a pain, eh!? Only someone who knows really knows. Thanks for commenting and reading xx

      Delete
  12. Mr dearest 'Mulie'. I really had no idea what you have been going through. I write this with tears in my eyes and a fervent hope that this will all be over soon. My little one with such a kind heart does not deserve to go through this. If I could I would take it all. Just know that there are people that love you very much sending nothing but positive thoughts and much, much love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear, you made me chortle which is a good thing - something funny has to come out it right?
    BTW, I totally adored the photos of you post-boob-off surgery - you are totally beautiful inside & out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Annie, chick - you're truly one of a kind - thank you for helping us to understand the outline of the total shitstorm, and all the while sharing your tender, perceptive heart. Can't stop looking at the beautiful picture of you and Pearl in the field, it is stunning. Timeless lovers. What women. Go team! Cheering you on and sending love from afar, Lizzie Ness + Harry xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS did the kids get a kick out of the bubble suits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! They did get a kick out of them for a few minutes, but then they were just hot and uncomfortable, and more excited by the TV and the little packages of yoghurt and juice that the kindly nurses brought in for them. Thanks for the love and the cheers and the package of goodness!! xxxx

      Delete
  16. Thanks for sharing this post, Annie. Cancer sucks. Chemo and all it entails sucks even more. I know you've said you're frustrated but your positivity still shines through. I wish you all the very best on your road to recovery, to carrying 20kg buckets and hanging out with your chickens. June. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Annie and Genevieve, you are both the most inspiring, down to earth, strong, beautiful women I know....thank you for sharing this honest insight with us Annie, I hope with all my heart you soon get the news of being cancer free and no longer have to endure this horrid awfulness. A friend of mine who just said good ridance to her cancer wrote that 'A new day cancer free is a good day' - I hope your good day comes very soon. Love Ally, Rich and little Annie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've got the same sort of T shirt but I lost a different boob. I lost my right boob to a very, very rare form of breast cancer and had to have both chemo and radiotherapy. Until I got that cancer I didn't know that there were multiple different types of breast cancer. Luckily for me I wasn't too sick as a result of my the chemo and discovered that my bald head was really quite a good shape. I didn't like it when my veins collapsed and I had to have a Hickman line installed though. The radiotherapy was bad, bad, bad and worse than the chemo. It burned me to a crisp to the extent that I smelled as result. It was gruesome at the time but there really is no option but to have the treatment and to try to keep positive and find as many things to laugh at on the journey. There really were lots of laughs to find along the way so it's not all negative. It took me nearly a year to get over the treatment and lose the fatigue. I'm now hale and hearty and, all up, I have survived a number of other non related cancers. I learned that family is the most important thing in my life and especially my life's partner. All the best with your recovery and don't expect too much from yourself for a while yet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy shitballs you're awesome. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm bookmarking this post for my 31 year old step daughter who was told yesterday that she has to have chemo. She was totally unprepared for the news, especially as the conversation started with "we got all the cancer..." The hardest part for her is that she is single & childless & now has to think about fertility options for the future. She is a strong, brave woman but it's such a tough thing to have to face. If she really wants to know the nitty gritty of what chemo can feel like, thanks to you I'll be able to send her over here. Thank you for sharing your story Annie xx

    ReplyDelete