Saturday, February 4, 2012

Collars and cuffs

Last week I got an email from a lady called Imelda, who was a bit keen on a bit of P&E after seeing Beth's best lady dress. Imelda, apparently, has a bit of a stash of fabric she thought would make a fab-o frock. Lucky her!
The dress she was after, however, was to have a collar and 3/4 sleeves. For some reason this sent me into a tizz, probably because a) I have never made a 3/4 sleeved dress and b) I have enormous arms, so am perhaps hyper-conscious of the fact sometimes sleeves don't fit well.
I suggested instead, that she might like a lovely jersey top with a collar and 3/4 sleeves, and an A line skirt. I promised to let her see a few photos of other collared and 3/4-sleeved tops, so here they are. These are 3 tops I made for Pearl in the last couple of years.
Imelda (and anyone else), let me know what you think!
For this one I used a silk scarf to make the collar and cuffs,
This one is a play on the old boat neck (Pearlie looks lovely in a boat neck) made from some vintage wool stripe and amazing printed crepe,
And this one is a grey and green striped wool which is kind of like a very fine sweater-weight. The collar on this is a gorgeous vintage print.
I decided to leave the edges raw, with just a little run over with the pinking shears, and then I hand stitched it down for extra detail and security. I reckon this top would be over 2 years old, and has been very well worn, but is still looking pretty hot!

1 comment: