Saturday, September 17, 2011

Poster-girls and happy campers



"Someone once told me I look like her grandmother's living room exploded on me (which was a compliment, swear.)"

So quoth Ms Amber M Rules (I know! What a name!) of Balmain, my new 4th best friend and Pearl & Elspeth poster girl. What does it take to be a poster girl? Well, when Amber emailed me to order her custom skirts, she told me a little bit about herself. She loves "gingham, spots, plaids, kitschy 1950's stuff like tiki/luau/hibiscus/leaf prints or cowboys/horses/horseshoes, Japanese or Chinese style lotus flowers. And I love bright colours. I aim for super classy 1950's housewife meets Peggy Bundy and Rizzo's lovechild". Cool. But then she said "I love your shiz so much, you could sew me a paperbag and I'd dig it". Anyone who is, or knows a Leo, like me, will know that this is perfectly acceptable commentary. I read this out to Pearl, who said "Wow - that lady was made to wear P&E". So true!
So I was pretty excited to make Amber some "shiz", on account of the fact that we kinda love all the same stuff, and she's not afraid of colour and kitsch. Tick! Tick! Tick!
Here's what I came up with:


The joey pocket with a kangaroo on it was Amber's idea, and boy was it a good one. I love green and pink, so thought a pepperminty stripy lining for the pocket was in order (though it's not visible in the picture - trust me, it's there, and it's a winner). Hibiscus - check! Ex-tablecloth pocket - check! Grandma explosion - check!!


And another tablecloth or 2 here, featuring poncho-on-the-beach lady! I love that she is on a variety of Australiana souvenirs. Nothing says 'Australia' like a lady on a beach wearing a poncho, right?

There wasn't enough of the Queensland tablecloth to do the back as well, so I improvised with some native flowers. Fun times!


In other news, I got some 'happy camper' emails today, which always make me happy. It is VERY nerve-wracking sending out my little creations into the world. I'm a very paranoid kind of person, so I'm constantly worrying about whether my clients are happy... So when I get emails like these ones, I'm pretty chuffed.

"Hi Annie,
Just wanted to let you know that my skirt arrived yesterday...a lovely surprise waiting in my letterbox. Although the weather here is still mostly cool and yesterday was wet and stormy, my new skirt reminded me that spring is just around the corner.Thankyou so much, it's perfect! Are you still offering custom skirts for the same price? If so I will think about what I want and order some more. BTW, just had a look at your blog and I totally agree with your philosophy on clothing and the importance of a connection between maker and buyer, careful use of the earth's resources, etc. I love the way even your packaging is recycled."

That one was from Denise, who got the flowery wrap.
Awwww.. shucks! But wait, there's more!

"Annie! The clothes arrived today and they are fabulous! I was terrified I had measured wrong and that they wouldn't fit but they are perfect, I can't thank you enough... they are wonderful. The linen skirt is amazing, I adore that one. I have a wedding next weekend and it'll be just perfect. I couldn't figure how to post a note on your blog to let everyone know how much I loved them but I really just wanted to thank you for them xx Meg".

Meg was the recipient of the much-coveted linen bird skirt, as well as a few others.
Yay and yay. Thanks so much for letting me know people. It warms my little heart.
And Amber, I hope you are TOTES happy with your skirts!

2 comments:

  1. OH. MY. GACK. They are frigging amazing. That hibiscus print! I'm drooling a little bit. I'm going to take my pants off right now and sit on my front doorstep to wait for the mailman.

    Also, I am taking my poster girl status super seriously and will be fashioning myself a tiara out of old teatowels and a bale of hay in a tribute to my favourite clothing label and new 4th best friend.

    Thank you, thank you!
    Ms. Rules
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh oh oh, also, my husband just saw the kangaroo pouch and said "Whoa, a joey pouch with a kangaroo on it. That's so meta." Meta-pouch for the win!

    ReplyDelete