Sunday, January 30, 2011

A lovey kind of glow



It's sunday afternoon and I'm munching organic corn chips and home-made guacamole from a beautiful mint green Fowler Ware bowl. Yesterday, we went to a most incredibly gorgeous wedding, and I just now finished sewing a dress and some skirts. It's warm, the cicadas are singing, and the kids are playing in bowls of water on the verandah. I'm feelin' good.

So. The wedding. Megan and Ben. BEAUTIFUL!!! It was all so full of home-grown, heartfelt, organic goodness, you could feel the love with all your senses. It was outside on the grass, barefooted, kind of like a love picnic. It was an honour to have provided little bit of somethin' somethin', in the form of bunting, to contribute to the loveliness.


In the wake of the embroidered pillow slips I made for Alex and James a few months back, I thought that another love embroidery was in order for Megan and Ben. I was inspired by a little bit of braid that's been kicking around in my family since I was a little kid, which depicts a couple of German folk-art people having a smooch. I absolutely LOVE it, and wanted to recreate it for a cushion. When I got to drawing up the design though, I thought "Why not make it actually Megan and Ben, instead of these random German dudes?". I was also inspired by my friend Jay's Christmas present to us, which was an outrageous little thing too tiny to photograph, so let me just say that it involved the most precious embroidered family portraits that are literally too cute for words. So I drew together all the little beauties floating around in my head, and came up with this. I reckon they're pretty cute!


The tree fabric is a total winner from Alewives called Majestic Oak. Stunning. And perfect because the bride and groom are outdoorsy types, so I reckon the frame is like they're out walking in the woods, holding on to their flower-sprouting German folk-art Love. As you do.

You can't really see it in the photo, but in the seam of the cushion I sewed some yellow rick-rack. Rick-rack is something I've always thought of as as being exceptionally cool, but have, weirdly, not used it that often. Well, I think the cushion has changed that. I can feel a complete rick-rack bender coming on, beginning with the waist band on the custom wrap skirt I finished this afternoon. The colour brief was "green, or with green in it". Unlike the last time I had a 'green' skirt order, when I was, for some inexplicable reason, totally devoid of green fabrics, I had in my possession this time round an excellent sheet which Pearl had picked up at an op-shop in Bega. Hooray!


Also on order was a dress made out of a sheet (gotta love 'em), which is outrageously cool. The request was for a dress with contrasting sleeves and belt. I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive about this set-up, not sure that it was going to work. When I finished the dress, however, all doubts were allayed. I'm stoked!


The third item in this trio of customised-ness was a remake of a dress which was 'not quite right'. This was really fun, given the outrageous level of cuteness contained in the vintage donkey fabric I used for the pockets. Unbelievable.


Ah. The goodness. And now dinner's ready. A mostly-home-grown frittata. Like I say, I'm feelin' good. And why not, right? As long as there's love, vintage donkeys and home-grown produce in the world, there's gotta be something to smile about.

No comments:

Post a Comment